Your Redwood Area Hospital has a talented and compassionate surgery staff that understands your surgery is a big deal. We will give you the time you need to feel as comfortable as possible with your care.
We offer a variety of same day surgical procedures, ranging from general surgical procedures, to orthopedics to ophthalmology.
If any complications should arise during your procedure or recovery, you can have peace-of-mind knowing you have the full resources of your hospital to support you. If a longer stay is needed for your recovery, you may be admitted to the hospital for additional skilled care or observation.
- DO NOT eat or drink anything after midnight, including water.
- Notify the surgeon of any change in your physical condition such as “flu”, cold, or a fever.
- Please leave jewelry, valuables and large amounts of money at home.
- Wear comfortable clothing and minimal make-up.
The Day of Surgery
On the day of surgery, you must first check in at the registration desk, which is located at the East Entrance on Fallwood Road. Please bring an adult with you to stay at the hospital during your procedure and recovery period.
A nurse will admit you to a Same Day Surgery room and provide you with a gown (or pajamas for children). You will wait in that room until the time of your scheduled procedure when a surgery nurse will take you to an operating room or procedure room.
Following the Procedure
When the procedure is over, you will be taken to the recovery room and then returned to your same day surgery room.
You will use a recliner or a bed during this recovery period. Nurses will carefully monitor your recovery, provide light nourishment, and give you instructions for follow-up care.
The adult who has accompanied you to the hospital can stay with you during your recovery period and should accompany you at discharge to aid in your transportation back home. Arrange for someone to stay with you at your home for the first 24 hours following surgery, especially if you have general anesthesia.
- The usual recovery period for same-day surgery is one to four hours.
- DO NOT drive a car, drink alcoholic beverages or operate complex machinery for 24 hours.
- Important decision-making should be delayed until you have made a full recovery from anesthesia (24 hours).
- If there are any complications during your surgery or recovery, you may require overnight hospitalization.
- A responsible adult should be with you for 24 hours. You may experience light-headedness and dizziness following surgery. DO NOT STAY ALONE!
Medicare, Medicare Advantage Plans, Medicaid, and private insurance companies encourage the use of short stay choices since they are cost-reducing alternatives and are also more convenient for the patient.
It is your responsibility to:
- Notify your insurance company before your admission and
- Obtain necessary prior authorization
To take advantage of same day services, you must actively participate in your own care. Carefully follow the instructions your physician and the hospital staff give you.
Annette Mertens, RN
Alissa Buchanan, RN
Kris Fischer, RN
Jenni Kuehn, RN
Renee Kodet, LPN
Bev Jensen, LPN
Jen Edwards, CST
Click HERE to learn more about our visiting surgeons and anesthetists.