Roast Tomatoes for Sauce or Freezing
- Enough Roma or paste tomatoes to cover at least two jelly roll pans after the tomatoes are halved
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line your pans with foil (for easy clean-up) and drizzle a little extra-virgin olive oil on the foil.
- Wash all the tomatoes, remove stems, and slice in half length-wise. Place them on the foil-lined pans, cut-side up. Sprinkle a little more olive oil over the tomatoes and scatter a dash of kosher salt on the tomatoes if desired.
- Place pan(s) in pre-heated oven. Roast for 40 to 45 minutes, checking them after 40 minutes. Tomatoes should be soft and somewhat shrunk. Be careful not to roast too long or you’ll make tomato paste or dried tomatoes.
- Remove pans from oven and cool slightly. Slide the roasted tomatoes into a food processor and blend together, in batches, till smooth or of desired consistency.
- If you want to use it immediately, return to a large pot and season with your herbs and spices of choice.
- To freeze, ladle into clean, pint-sized freezer boxes, leaving 1/2″ space between the top of the sauce and the rim of the box.
- Cover with a clean lid. Label the contents, date it, and place in your freezer.